With autumn fast-approaching, it’s a good time to check your gutters to make sure they’re in good working order. Functional gutters are essential in avoiding water infiltration during the winter months.
- Start at the base of your gutters: open the evacuation tube of the gutters to remove any debris before thoroughly rinsing with water (hint: the water pressure should be low; gutters are not designed to be cleaned with high pressure hoses).
- Remove dead leaves and all other debris that has accumulated in the upper part of the gutters. Rinse thoroughly with water.
- Check how water flows through your gutters. If it doesn’t flow easily, check the slope of your gutters and make any necessary repairs.
- Block the evacuation tube of your gutters to locate any leaks.
- Make sure the water is directed well away from your home.
Remember, whenever doing repairs at home, work safely!